Chill out with this quick summer refresher
Nothing could be easier than this cantaloupe and strawberry ice. Just freeze up some fruit, make a simple syrup, and blend it all into a slush. For instant refreshment, keep the fruit in the freezer and the syrup in the fridge. You’ll have dessert in 2 minutes flat! Read on for more sweet sensations.
Pink Cantaloupe Ice
3 c cubed ripe cantaloupe
1/2 c fresh strawberries*
1/3 c sugar
1/4 c water
1 Tbsp light corn syrup
2 Tbsp orange juice
1/2 tsp grated orange peel (optional)
- Spread cantaloupe and strawberries in a single layer in a baking dish. Cover, and freeze overnight.
- In a small saucepan, mix sugar, water, and corn syrup. Cover, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Uncover, and simmer 3 to 4 minutes. Pour into a glass measure, and stir in orange juice and orange peel(if using). Chill 30 minutes or overnight.
- Combine frozen fruit and cold syrup in a food processor. Process with on/off turns until the mixture is smooth, stopping often to scrape down the sides. Serve immediately or transfer to a freezer container, cover, and freeze for up to 1 week. Yields 3 cups
Per 1/2-cup serving: Cal 83, Fat 0.3 g, Sat. Fat 0 g, Chol 0 mg, Fiber 1 g, Pro 0.8 g, Carb 21 g, Sodium 8 mg
(*) Note: Out of season, use frozen, unsweetened strawberries.
RELATED ARTICLE: Cool Summer Ideas
* Freeze cranberry, raspberry, or orange juice in ice-cube trays, and use to flavor iced tea.
* Make ice pops with juice combos such as orange/peach/mango or apple/raspberry/ blackberry blend.
* Freeze grapes for a cool, sweet snack.
* Make a fruit slush by blending fruit juice concentrate and ice.
* Top softened low-fat vanilla ice cream with diced mixed fruit such as strawberries, peaches, melons, and blueberries.
* Blend cold coffee, low-fat frozen vanilla yogurt, and ice for a frozen cappuccino.
* Make a fruit smoothie by blending a banana and strawberries with orange juice, yogurt, and ice.
* Blend cold coffee, chocolate sorbet, and milk for an iced mocha.
* Empty a can of diced pineapple in juice into a bowl. Freeze, then blend with low-fat coconut milk and a dash of rum or rum extract for a pina colada dessert.
* Prepare fruit gelatin with fresh fruit stirred in; chill and top with reduced-fat sour cream.
* Use small cantaloupe halves as bowls to serve individual fruit salads.3